Need help with GTK bug

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
Hi Andreas,

I could use some help with a GTK related bug if you can spare some time
please.

The bug in question is listed in BUGS.txt as: Menu item 'Query Browser'
causes Segfault under unix - crash after qbForm->Show() in
frmQueryBuilder::OnSize() at layout.LayoutMDIFrame(this). QB currently
disabled.

The error is caught by an assert in src/gtk/window.cpp on line 2875:

wxASSERT_MSG( (m_widget != NULL), wxT("invalid window") );

which was indirectly called by pgAdmin in frmQueryBuilder.cpp, line 512:

void frmQueryBuilder::OnSize(wxSizeEvent& event)
{
    if (this->GetClientWindow() != NULL) {
    wxLayoutAlgorithm layout;
>>>    layout.LayoutMDIFrame(this);
    }
}

Any ideas?

Thanks, Dave.

Re: Need help with GTK bug

From
Andreas Pflug
Dave Page wrote:

>Hi Andreas,
>
>I could use some help with a GTK related bug if you can spare some time
>please.
>
>The bug in question is listed in BUGS.txt as: Menu item 'Query Browser'
>causes Segfault under unix - crash after qbForm->Show() in
>frmQueryBuilder::OnSize() at layout.LayoutMDIFrame(this). QB currently
>disabled.
>
>The error is caught by an assert in src/gtk/window.cpp on line 2875:
>
>wxASSERT_MSG( (m_widget != NULL), wxT("invalid window") );
>
>which was indirectly called by pgAdmin in frmQueryBuilder.cpp, line 512:
>
>void frmQueryBuilder::OnSize(wxSizeEvent& event)
>{
>    if (this->GetClientWindow() != NULL) {
>    wxLayoutAlgorithm layout;

>    }
>}
>
>Any ideas?

Hi Dave,

it's still the same problem I had those days. I don't have a clue what's
going on. That MDI is a miracle to me, I'd have to slice it down to GTK
(which I don't know either) to be helpful.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Need help with GTK bug

From
"Dave Page"

OK, thanks.

Regards, Dave.

Re: Need help with GTK bug

From
"Hiroshi Saito"
Date:
Hi Dave.

I search for the cause of this problem.
Is this helpful?
However, a problem is still left.:-(

regards,
Hiroshi Saito

From: "Dave Page" <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk>

> The bug in question is listed in BUGS.txt as: Menu item 'Query Browser'
> causes Segfault under unix - crash after qbForm->Show() in
> frmQueryBuilder::OnSize() at layout.LayoutMDIFrame(this). QB currently
> disabled.

Attachment

Re: Need help with GTK bug

From
Andreas Pflug
Date:
Hiroshi Saito wrote:

>Hi Dave.
>
>I search for the cause of this problem.
>Is this helpful?
>However, a problem is still left.:-(

Hm, I doubt that this is helpful in any way, because it just lets some
vars uninitialized before Create(), so I assume the current version is
better.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Need help with GTK bug

From
"Hiroshi Saito"
Date:
Hi Andreas.

From: "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin@pse-consulting.de>

> Hiroshi Saito wrote:
>
> >Hi Dave.
> >
> >I search for the cause of this problem.
> >Is this helpful?
> >However, a problem is still left.:-(
>
> Hm, I doubt that this is helpful in any way, because it just lets some
> vars uninitialized before Create(), so I assume the current version is
> better.

You are probably right.
I thinks that a gtk problem is certain.
But,I thinks that the problem can be ascertained by this patch.
It takes time a little more to solve it.
It is information because Dave may be settled.:-)

regards,
Hiroshi Saito

Attachment

Re: Need help with GTK bug

From
"Dave Page"

Only changed and m_server afaict and they are unimportant.

> so I assume the
> current version is better.

Actually Hiroshi does seem to have fixed that particular problem. It's
odd though - I was thinking along those lines, but tested the other way
round, by changing the wx MDI sample app to use a 2 step create as
frmQueryBuilder did. That worked fine though so I moved on.

Now it crashes when you add an new child table or view now - dunno if
that's a related problem or not yet.

Anyway, thanks Hiroshi.

Regards, Dave.

Re: Need help with GTK bug

From
Andreas Pflug
Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

Hu?!?
It's a kind of magic...

Actually, I don't trust it. Is there some kind of compiler flaw?
IMHO, usind MDI for this is a nice idea (it would never have come to my
mind), but since I'm a MDI sceptic it might be better to use this
internally quite complicated stuff on the long therm.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Need help with GTK bug

From
"Dave Page"

Yup, very bizarre.

> Actually, I don't trust it.

No, neither do I. I like to understand why a fix works.

> Is there some kind of compiler flaw?

Dunno. Whatever it is it must be non-platform issue as I use Linux and
Hiroshi uses FreeBSD..

> IMHO, usind MDI for this is a nice idea (it would never have
> come to my mind), but since I'm a MDI sceptic it might be
> better to use this internally quite complicated stuff on the
> long therm.

Hmm....

Regards, Dave.

Re: Need help with GTK bug

From
Andreas Pflug
Dave Page wrote:

>>IMHO, usind MDI for this is a nice idea (it would never have
>>come to my mind), but since I'm a MDI sceptic it might be
>>better to use this internally quite complicated stuff on the
>>long therm.
>>

>Hmm....

Yes, I don't understand these words either :-)
This has nothing to do with thermal problems, and what I wanted to say was:

it might be better *not* to use this internally quite complicated stuff on the long term.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Need help with GTK bug

From
"Dave Page"

Yes, more sense that makes indeed does it.

So anyway, do you have any replacement suggestions? (I assume you're
talking about the whole QB, and not just the ctor for the main form).

Regards, Dave.

Re: Need help with GTK bug

From
Andreas Pflug
Dave Page wrote:

> [...]
I'm a bit hesitating to suggest a replacement. I would have used
standard frames and dialogs to implement this, or even custom made
controls for the tables. This duplicates the MDI child/parent behaviour
in many aspects, but avoids several complex (and bug attracting) features.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Need help with GTK bug

From
"Hiroshi Saito"
Date:
Hi Dave.

It is the countermeasure of the problem which is still contained.
My FreeBSD improves only a little by this coping.
However,
Check it because it may have badness besides if it is applied.
not a request for application but this is reference information.

I trust only the result which did try in the reality.
Seeing is believing.:-)

regards,
Hiroshi Saito

Attachment

Re: Need help with GTK bug

From
Andreas Pflug
Date:
Hiroshi Saito wrote:

>Hi Dave.
>
>It is the countermeasure of the problem which is still contained.
>My FreeBSD improves only a little by this coping.
>However,
>Check it because it may have badness besides if it is applied.
>not a request for application but this is reference information.
>
>I trust only the result which did try in the reality.
>Seeing is believing.:-)
>
>regards,
>Hiroshi Saito

This is an interesting approach. Usually, the this pointer should
contain the same as event.GetEventObject(). If it doesn't there's
something wrong, but it's wx's responsibility to provide a correct
pointer. You might have breakpoints at the OnSize methods, and trace
back where they come from.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Need help with GTK bug

From
"Hiroshi Saito"
Date:
Hi Andreas.

From: "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin@pse-consulting.de>

> This is an interesting approach. Usually, the this pointer should
> contain the same as event.GetEventObject(). If it doesn't there's
> something wrong, but it's wx's responsibility to provide a correct
> pointer. You might have breakpoints at the OnSize methods, and trace
> back where they come from.

Yes,It is probably as you say if it is usual.
This problem is very complex for me.
I gets confused when this is read....:-(
It is a plan as a beginning of the solution at the time of the present.

regards,
Hiroshi Saito

Re: Need help with GTK bug

From
"Dave Page"

Hi Hiroshi,

It's better, but still not right as you say. There's obviously something
screwed up with the GTK/MDI support in wxWindows :-( Shame none of their
team wanted to help when I asked :-(

Are you continuing to work on this?

Regards, Dave

Re: Need help with GTK bug

From
"Hiroshi Saito"
From: "Dave Page" <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk>

> Hi Hiroshi,
>
> It's better, but still not right as you say.

Please keep it in the recognition of Dave because it is the middle.

> There's obviously something
> screwed up with the GTK/MDI support in wxWindows :-( Shame none of their
> team wanted to help when I asked :-(

I am very much disappointed at it, too.
This problem seems to be a maze...
But, we must solve it.

> Are you continuing to work on this?

Yes,It goes on though I can't take time easily.

regards,
Hiroshi Saito

Re: Need help with GTK bug

From
"Hiroshi Saito"
Date:
Hi Adam.,
and Raphaël.

I spend time to be already considerable on this problem.:-(
However, there is no good development.
As for the root trunk of the problem, gtk Or wxWindows isn't clear, either.
The control of mdi.cpp doesn't go well....
event-handler of wxMDIClientWindow can't be caught why.??
How is it in your platform?
Or, good thought.
It seems me that the coding of present QueryBuilder is right.
But, This patch may become help to ascertain it.

regards,
Hiroshi Saito

> From: "Dave Page" <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk>
>
> > Hi Hiroshi,
> >
> > It's better, but still not right as you say.
>
> Please keep it in the recognition of Dave because it is the middle.
>
> > There's obviously something
> > screwed up with the GTK/MDI support in wxWindows :-( Shame none of their
> > team wanted to help when I asked :-(
>
> I am very much disappointed at it, too.
> This problem seems to be a maze...
> But, we must solve it.
>

> > Are you continuing to work on this?
>
> Yes,It goes on though I can't take time easily.
>
> regards,
> Hiroshi Saito

Attachment