Contributed packages and trust problem ?

From
Raphaël Enrici
Date:
Dear all,

here is a question on which I'd like to get your opinion. Giuseppe Sacco
contributed today a build of the debian packages for PowerPC
architecture based on our Debian Source packages. As he is a member of
the debian project, I think we can consider him as a trusty person. But
what about other persons that may contribute builds for other
architectures ? Did you faced this "problem" in the past ?
Is everybody ok to upload his files on snake (I vote yes) ?
Another thing I wanted to talk about since days concerns signing of our
packages. Is there something done for the moment ? Shall someone sign
the files ? Shall every packager sign its own package ? I'm currently
looking to what's done in Debian and will give you some feedback on it.

Regards,

Raphaël

Re: Contributed packages and trust problem ?

From
"Dave Page"

Never considered it in the past as I always did the builds. I think it is a valid problem though. Is there any way we
cansign the source code such that when it's compiled we can verify that it was unmodified source?

> Is everybody ok to upload his files on snake (I vote yes) ?
> Another thing I wanted to talk about since days concerns
> signing of our
> packages. Is there something done for the moment ? Shall someone sign
> the files ? Shall every packager sign its own package ? I'm currently
> looking to what's done in Debian and will give you some
> feedback on it.

What did you have in mind, a pgp sig for each file? I don't see that as a problem for each packager to create.

Regards, Dave.

Re: Contributed packages and trust problem ?

From
Raphaël Enrici
>>contributed today a build of the debian packages for PowerPC
>>architecture based on our Debian Source packages. As he is a
>>member of
>>the debian project, I think we can consider him as a trusty
>>person. But
>>what about other persons that may contribute builds for other
>>architectures ? Did you faced this "problem" in the past ?
>>

>Never considered it in the past as I always did the builds. I think it is a valid problem though. Is there any way we
cansign the source code such that when it's compiled we can verify that it was unmodified source?

Never heard about something like this....

>>Is there something done for the moment ? Shall someone sign
>>the files ? Shall every packager sign its own package ? I'm currently
>>looking to what's done in Debian and will give you some
>>feedback on it.
>>

>What did you have in mind, a pgp sig for each file? I don't see that as a problem for each packager to create.

As RPM and DEB packages integrates gpg signatures, I just wanted to know
if their were a pgp/gpg key global to the pgAdmin team, something that
was used to sign the files of the project like binaries, sources, etc.
I'm ok to sign deb package by myself.
And wanted to know if you used by the past to sign the files ? For
example the source tarball and win32 packages.

Date:
It's rumoured that Raphaël Enrici once said:
> [...]

No, me neither. Perhaps it'll make a topic for my dissertation...

>>What did you have in mind, a pgp sig for each file? I don't see that as
>>a problem for each packager to create.
>>

> As RPM and DEB packages integrates gpg signatures, I just wanted to
> know  if their were a pgp/gpg key global to the pgAdmin team, something
> that  was used to sign the files of the project like binaries, sources,
> etc. I'm ok to sign deb package by myself.
> And wanted to know if you used by the past to sign the files ? For
> example the source tarball and win32 packages.

No, there is no 'global' key. That would probably be pretty insecure. I
would think that a pgp/gpg sig from the packager would suffice - it would
at least prove that the file hadn't been tampered. Mind you, it doesn't
prevent someone packaging their own version and pretending they are the
official packager. Perhaps I should sign everything?
Regards, Dave.

Dave Page wrote:

>It's rumoured that Raphaël Enrici once said:
>

>>>What did you have in mind, a pgp sig for each file? I don't see that as
>>>a problem for each packager to create.
>>>

>>As RPM and DEB packages integrates gpg signatures, I just wanted to
>>know  if their were a pgp/gpg key global to the pgAdmin team, something
>>that  was used to sign the files of the project like binaries, sources,
>>etc. I'm ok to sign deb package by myself.
>>And wanted to know if you used by the past to sign the files ? For
>>example the source tarball and win32 packages.
>>

>No, there is no 'global' key. That would probably be pretty insecure. I
>would think that a pgp/gpg sig from the packager would suffice - it would
>at least prove that the file hadn't been tampered. Mind you, it doesn't
>prevent someone packaging their own version and pretending they are the
>official packager. Perhaps I should sign everything

Dear Dave,

IMHO, you should at least sign the tarball you publish as the beta
release and all packagers should verify it against your public key
before packaging anything and they also should sign their packages with
their own keys. May be we also should publish a link to our personnal
public keys or the way to get them.

Cheers,
Raphaël

Re: Contributed packages and trust problem ?

From
"Dave Page"

OK, I've signed the source tarball for now. Jean-Michel, can you add my PGP key to the website somewhere please:

Regards, Dave.

Re: Contributed packages and trust problem ?

From
Jean-Michel POURE
Date:
On Monday 11 August 2003 10:57, Dave Page wrote:
> OK, I've signed the source tarball for now. Jean-Michel, can you add my PGP
> key to the website somewhere please:

No problem. Jean-Michel

Date:
On Monday 11 August 2003 10:57, Dave Page wrote:
> OK, I've signed the source tarball for now. Jean-Michel, can you add my PGP
> key to the website somewhere please:

The key is available here:
http://snake.pgadmin.org/pgadmin3/pgp/davepage.pgp

It is visible in the Installing from source section on the download page. I
will finish this section tonight after the beta packages are updated.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel