Re: Contributed packages and trust problem ? - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Contributed packages and trust problem ?
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
It's rumoured that Raphaël Enrici once said:
> [...]

No, me neither. Perhaps it'll make a topic for my dissertation...

>>What did you have in mind, a pgp sig for each file? I don't see that as
>>a problem for each packager to create.
>>

> As RPM and DEB packages integrates gpg signatures, I just wanted to
> know  if their were a pgp/gpg key global to the pgAdmin team, something
> that  was used to sign the files of the project like binaries, sources,
> etc. I'm ok to sign deb package by myself.
> And wanted to know if you used by the past to sign the files ? For
> example the source tarball and win32 packages.

No, there is no 'global' key. That would probably be pretty insecure. I
would think that a pgp/gpg sig from the packager would suffice - it would
at least prove that the file hadn't been tampered. Mind you, it doesn't
prevent someone packaging their own version and pretending they are the
official packager. Perhaps I should sign everything?
Regards, Dave.