Re: Buglist - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vivek Khera
Subject Re: Buglist
Date
List pgsql-general

BL> Hi ...
BL> I'm trying to convince my boss to use posgresql (I need RI, transactions
BL> and views), but he keeps comparing the project to mysql. Until now, I
BL> found the answers to he's questions on the www.postgresql.org page, but
BL> now I'm lost :-)

My big reason to choose postgres was concurrency.  My application has
transactions and updates all over the place, and even as a single
developer in the early stages, I could already see problems with
table-level locking that mysql was giving me.  Who knows what would
have happened in production with hundreds of people hitting the db
simultaneously!  The row-level locking in Postgres has made it
possible for an incredible number of simultaneous actions to be
carried out without any waiting for the users.

Try making a table grow beyond your file size limit in mysql.  You
can't.  Even if you use an OS with 64-bit file pointers (such as
FreeBSD) you can't grow your file beyond 4Gb in mysql (at least with
mysam tables -- dunno about innodb tables).  In Postgres, it is
automagically handled for you.

The *only* drawbacks I find with postgres is the need to dump/restore
on major version updates and the need to vacuum the tables
regularly...

Tops on my wish list is that postgres automatically notice when a row
is no longer needed (all transactional references to it are gone) and
'free' it at that time, rather then needing a special scan to
determine the row is no longer needed and freeing it.

Internet: khera@kciLink.com       Rockville, MD       +1-240-453-8497
AIM: vivekkhera Y!: vivek_khera   http://www.khera.org/~vivek/