Re: Linux ready for high-volume databases? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vivek Khera
Subject Re: Linux ready for high-volume databases?
Date
List pgsql-general

RJ> Don't think of this as a troll, because I really don't know, even
RJ> though I do know that MVS, OpenVMS & Solaris can.  (I won't even
RJ> ask about toys like Windows and FreeBSD.)

Well, you must be smoking something funny if you think FreeBSD is a
'toy' to be lumped in with windows....

I run a 24x7x365 db on FreeBSD which has *never* crashed in the 3
years it has been in production.  Only downtime was the upgrade from
PG 7.1 to 7.2 and once for a switchover from RAID5 to RAID10.  I *may*
have a few minutes of down time shortly when updating from PG 7.2 to
7.4 on a new box since I'm saturating the disk I/O bandwidth on the
old box.  The eRServer software will be doing the data migration on
the live db so I don't have significant down time.

The DB is currently about 27Mb on disk (including indexes) and
processes several million inserts and updates daily, and a few million
deletes once every two weeks.

Internet: khera@kciLink.com       Rockville, MD       +1-240-453-8497
AIM: vivekkhera Y!: vivek_khera   http://www.khera.org/~vivek/