Re: Index usage - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dennis Björklund
Subject Re: Index usage
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Pedro Alves wrote:

>     I can't see much of a difference. Here goes the details

I forgot one setting that is important that you change. The effective
cache size can have a big influence on the planner. It is set very low as
default and with your machine that is used only for the database this
setting needs to be increased a lot.

The default is I think 8MB, but I think you said you had 512MB then I
guess something like say 300MB could be a good setting here. That is, the
setting should be something like 37000. But it depends on what else you
run on the computer and so on. Maybe you can even go a little higher. In
any case, all the default settings are set low.

--
/Dennis