Re: Linux ready for high-volume databases? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: Linux ready for high-volume databases?
Date
Re: Linux ready for high-volume databases?  (Dennis Gearon <gearond@fireserve.net>)
List pgsql-general
Vivek Khera <khera@kcilink.com> writes:

> I run a 24x7x365 db on FreeBSD which has *never* crashed in the 3
> years it has been in production.  Only downtime was the upgrade from
> PG 7.1 to 7.2 and once for a switchover from RAID5 to RAID10.

I would be interested to know what backup strategy you use for this. Without
online backups this means that if you had crashed you would have lost data up
to the last pg_dump you took? Had you done tests to see how long it would have
taken to restore from the pg_dump?

Online backups with archived transaction logs are the next big killer feature
(the last one remaining?) for 24x7 operation I think.

> The DB is currently about 27Mb on disk (including indexes) and
> processes several million inserts and updates daily, and a few million
> deletes once every two weeks.

Oh, it's a really small database. That helps a lot with the backup problems of
24x7 operation. Still I would be interested.

--
greg