Re: No Documentation for to_char(INTERVAL, mask) - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: No Documentation for to_char(INTERVAL, mask)
Date
List pgsql-sql
karel,

>  Now I'm not writing to_char(interval), because current source (7.1)
> is
> freeze for new features and I'm waiting for 7.2 devel. cycle and I'm
> spending
> time with other things (PL/Python, the Mape project etc..).
>
>  If it's *really important* for you I can write it next week(s),
> ... of course, my time is limited :-)
Hey, if I wanted that, there'd be a consulting fee involved, hey?
Actually, I just changed the field to VARCHAR and provided a limited
range of options.  Since there is not to_char('7 +00:00:00') yet, but
interval('1 month') works great, it makes more sense to store my data as
text.
Since I'm not writing the temporary interval2char function, I'll
mention that it seemed to me that it could be broken down into a series
of IF ... THEN statements either testing DATEPART or against other
INTERVAL values.  A string could be built against the components of the
Interval.
Now, two follow-up questions:

1. Does ALTER TABLE in 7.1 beta 4 allow DROP COLUMN?  I can't seem to
get it to work.

2. Has anyone given thought to a VB-style SELECT CASE (which we should
call 'SELECT MATCH') statement in PL/pgSQL?  Different from the CASE
that allows you to select column values in the SELECT clause, SELECT
MATCH would be an IF ... THEN style structure offering an indefinite
numebr of options.  I'm sure that PL/SQL has something like this ...
I'll look it up later today.

-Josh Berkus