Re: No Documentation for to_char(INTERVAL, mask) - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Karel Zak
Subject Re: No Documentation for to_char(INTERVAL, mask)
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 08:38:25AM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Thomas, Karel,
>
> > I agree with Karel's point that it may be a pain to use a procedural
> > language to manipulate a "stringy" interval value. If you use a C
> > function instead, you can get access to the internal manipulation
> > functions already present, as well as access to system functions to
> > manipulate a tm structure.
>
> Ah, but this leaves out two important considerations of my particular
> problem:
>
> 1. The interval I want to manipulate is limited to a relative handful of
> possibilities (it's a billing interval): 1 week, 2 weeks, 2x/Month, 1
> month, 2 months, 3 months.
>
> 2. I don't do C.  And I don't have the budget to hire somebody to di it
> in C.
>
> If this was a bigger budget project, I'd simply take Karel's notes and
> hire a programmer to create the to_char(Interval) function and thus
> contribute to PostgreSQL ... but this project is over budget and behind
> schedule already.Now I'm not writing to_char(interval), because current source (7.1) is
freeze for new features and I'm waiting for 7.2 devel. cycle and I'm spending
time with other things (PL/Python, the Mape project etc..).
If it's *really important* for you I can write it next week(s),
... of course, my time is limited :-)
May be try found some other solution.
        Karel

-- Karel Zak  <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz>http://home.zf.jcu.cz/~zakkr/C, PostgreSQL, PHP, WWW, http://docs.linux.cz,