How to drop an trigger - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Frank Joerdens
Subject How to drop an trigger
Date
List pgsql-sql
I've created quite a few foreign key constraints in the database that I
am currently working on, and now that I've altered the structure and
dropped a table that had a foreign key reference to a couple of other
tables, I need to get rid of those foreign keys (they weren't dropped
automagically with the table), as I get errors on trying to update those
tables.

Trouble is that the foreign keys show up in a schema dump as <unnamed>
triggers (AFAIK there is no other way to display foreign key
constraints) which I don't know how to drop. Here's an example:

\connect - frank
--
-- TOC Entry ID 56 (OID 52367)
--

CREATE CONSTRAINT TRIGGER "<unnamed>" AFTER DELETE ON "index"  NOT
DEFERRABLE INITIALLY IMMEDIATE FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE

I tried dropping it with

=# drop trigger RI_ConstraintTrigger_52366 on index;

which fails with

ERROR:  DropTrigger: there is no trigger ri_constrainttrigger_52366 on
relation index

What to do? And more broadly, what's the recommended way to deal with
this in general? Avoid creating <unnamed> triggers by always creating named
foreign keys with something like

ALTER TABLE distributors ADD CONSTRAINT distfk FOREIGN KEY (address)
REFERENCES addresses(address) MATCH FULL;

(from Bruce's book)?

Regards, Frank