Re: Index of a table is not used (in any case) - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From marc@oscar.eng.cv.net (Marc Spitzer)
Subject Re: Index of a table is not used (in any case)
Date
List pgsql-sql
In article <web-490372@davinci.ethosmedia.com>, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Reinier,
>
> For future notice, [SQL] is the correct list for this kind of inquiry.
> Please do not post it to [HACKERS].  And please don't cross-post ... it
> results in a lot of needless duplication of effort.
>
>> I have defined a table and the necessary indices.
>
>> Is the order of index creation relevant? I.e., should I create the
>> indices before inserting
>> entries or the other way around?
>
> Ummm ... not to be obvious, or anything, but did you VACCUUM ANALYZE
> after populating your table?
>
> There's also some special steps to take if you are regularly deleting
> large numbers of records.

Could you tell me what those steps are or where to find them?  I have
a db that I delete about 1 million records a day from in a batch job.
The only special thing I do is every few days I reindex the table
involved to reclame the space burned by the indexes not reclaiming
space on deletion of rows.  What other good and useful things could I
do?

Thanks

marc