Re: Index of a table is not used (in any case) - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Index of a table is not used (in any case)
Date
List pgsql-sql
Reinier,

For future notice, [SQL] is the correct list for this kind of inquiry.
Please do not post it to [HACKERS].  And please don't cross-post ... it
results in a lot of needless duplication of effort.

> I have defined a table and the necessary indices.

> Is the order of index creation relevant? I.e., should I create the
> indices before inserting
> entries or the other way around?

Ummm ... not to be obvious, or anything, but did you VACCUUM ANALYZE
after populating your table?

There's also some special steps to take if you are regularly deleting
large numbers of records.

-Josh