ODBC Support - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Paul Simpson
Subject ODBC Support
Date
Re: ODBC Support
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I've been playing with ODBC (some of you have been good enough to answer some of my questions already - thanks) and have come up against an "interesting" issue.

I am running SlackWare 9.1 with PostgreSQL 7.4.1. I purchased a book by Ewald Geschwinde and Hans-Jurgen Schonig called "PostgreSQL Developers handbook" (published by SAMS).

Anyway, in a section on ODBC (page 439 if you have the book) it says that for ODBC support, you need to compile with the option --with-odbcinst. It then says you need to import a file called "odbc.sql" into template1. Given some odd problems I have been having with using ODBC, I wondered if this is my problem.

I have done the first of these steps without getting an error (at least, not one I could see!) but I still cannot find the odbc.sql file in my src directory.

As I see it, one of three situations exist:-

1. The book is out of date and the newer version doesn't need this.
2. The book is wrong
3. I am wrong.

Of the three, I suspect the last is the most likely!

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what I should be doing?

Many thanks.

Paul Simpson