Re: Analysis/Overview of PostgreSQL and SQL2003 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Troels Arvin
Subject Re: Analysis/Overview of PostgreSQL and SQL2003
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 12:17:03 -0700, elein wrote:

> Is anyone working on an analysis of where PostgreSQL
> meets, deviates and exceeds the new SQL2003 standard?

That's a rather big analysis, I'm afraid.

I have looked at a few areas and written about them here:
http://troels.arvin.dk/db/rdbms/
Note that my focus is not PostgreSQL in particular.

My todo list at http://troels.arvin.dk/db/rdbms/TODOs.en.html lists some
additional areas that I would find interesting to explore next, but it
will only happen slowly.

> There is also the possibility of publishing a version in
> other more marketing oriented venues.

That's always a possibility. But don't set your expectations too high:
PostgreSQL is actually not as standards-compliant as I, for one, had
thought. And the lack of most of SQL:2003's new OLAP features will
probably not make a great marketing text, unless some nice people
implement them, so that it can be said that the next PostgreSQL version
will bring about all this and that new, SQL:2003-compliant feature.

> PS: Sorry for the cross posting
(This follow-up was sent to advocacy only.)

--
Greetings from Troels Arvin, Copenhagen, Denmark