Re: Best way to load test a postgresql server - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Kenneth Cox
Subject Re: Best way to load test a postgresql server
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, 02 Jun 2009 05:26:41 -0400, Dimitri Fontaine
<dfontaine@hi-media.com> wrote:
> I'd recommand having a look at tsung which will be able to replay a
> typical application scenario with as many concurrent users as you want
> to: http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-admin/2008-12/msg00032.php
>   http://tsung.erlang-projects.org/
>   http://pgfouine.projects.postgresql.org/tsung.html

I am having a look at tsung and not getting very far yet.  Have you had
luck with it and do you really mean as many concurrent users as you want?
I was hoping to use it to simulate my current load while tuning and making
improvements.  So far tsung doesn't appear well suited to my needs.  I use
persistent connections; each tsung session uses a new connection.  I have
multiple applications that have very usage patterns (some web and largely
idle, some non web and almost saturated); tsung has virtual users choosing
a session based on a probability with think times.  I know many
programming languages; tsung (and its error messages) is in erlang.

> If you want to replay your logs at the current production speed and
> concurrency, see Playr.
>   https://area51.myyearbook.com/trac.cgi/wiki/Playr

Thanks for this tip.  It seems worth a look.

Regards,
Ken