Re: permissions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Doug McNaught
Subject Re: permissions
Date
List pgsql-general
tony <tony@animaproductions.com> writes:

>     - I can read fronm the database. The web app functions perfectly and
> with Tomcat4/Postgresql 7.2 much faster (no benchmarks, just human
> "feels snappier")
>
>     - when I try to login to the administration pages I get chucked out...
> javax.servlet.ServletException: Connection refused. Check that the
> hostname and port is correct, and that the postmaster is running with
> the -i flag, which enables TCP/IP networking.
>
> YES IT IS FOR PETES SAKE!!!!!!
>
> My question for the weekend is "what files/applications should have what
> read/write permissions?".

So you're saying that part of your web app works fine and talks to the
database, and part of it doesn't?  What are the differences between
the parts?

> In fact I feel that this is a much wider Unix/Linux question which is
> one of the major problems for newcomers. I am not (a newcomer) but have
> had trouble (coming from the Mac) understanding what is what since
> 1997...
>
> We have three users: tony (thats me =;-{ ), postgres and tomcat4. tony
> is via JDBC trying to send a login/password combination via JSP to
> tomcat4. tomcat4 is validating the password against a table in
> postgresql and getting the errror above.
>
> tomcat doesn't have (decent) docs (now you know why I wrote a HOWTO)
> postgresql has good docs (If I said "great" you would get sloppy...).
> But there is no place where it is written in stone who should own what.

The error you're getting indicates that the DB connection URL used by
that part of the web app is wrong.  I doubt it's a file permissions
error at all.

-Doug
   --T. J. Jackson, 1863