Re: Interfaces that support cursors - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Doug McNaught
Subject Re: Interfaces that support cursors
Date
List pgsql-general
Network Administrator <netadmin@vcsn.com> writes:

> I've got a Pg 7.1.3 release that I'm going to upgrade to 7.4 but in the meantime
> I wanted to know if Pg.pm (or DBD:Pg) supported using cursors.  I would guess
> that they they don't because from what I understand every executed query in this
> interface is implicitly wrapped in a transaction (thus there is an implicit
> commit that would close the cursor).

I haven't used Pg.pm, but DBD::Pg has an "autocommit" flag when
creating a new connection, to control this behavior.  If you turn off
autocommit, you can use DECLARE to create a cursor and FETCH to get
rows from it, just as with any other interface, as long as your
transaction is open.

The DBI and DBD::Pg docs describe everything pretty well.

-Doug