Re: Interfaces that support cursors - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Network Administrator
Subject Re: Interfaces that support cursors
Date
List pgsql-general
Quoting Doug McNaught <doug@mcnaught.org>:

> Network Administrator <netadmin@vcsn.com> writes:
>
> > I've got a Pg 7.1.3 release that I'm going to upgrade to 7.4 but in the
> meantime
> > I wanted to know if Pg.pm (or DBD:Pg) supported using cursors.  I would
> guess
> > that they they don't because from what I understand every executed query in
> this
> > interface is implicitly wrapped in a transaction (thus there is an
> implicit
> > commit that would close the cursor).
>
> I haven't used Pg.pm, but DBD::Pg has an "autocommit" flag when
> creating a new connection, to control this behavior.  If you turn off
> autocommit, you can use DECLARE to create a cursor and FETCH to get
> rows from it, just as with any other interface, as long as your
> transaction is open.
>
> The DBI and DBD::Pg docs describe everything pretty well.
>
> -Doug

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Ok, I did see the autocommit flag setting in DBD:Pg when I starting reading up
on the DBI/DBD interfacing methods so I guess I could recode for that.  However,
how do you "maintain" the current transaction open if your script is writing
pages to the web.  Even in mod_perl I think that there is a commit after the
script ends, no?

--
Keith C. Perry
Director of Networks & Applications