Re: Trying to auto start Postgres when server boots up - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: Trying to auto start Postgres when server boots up
Date
List pgsql-general
> I am using PostgreSQL 7.4.7 and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.
>
> I want to start the Postgres Postmaster automatically when the server
> boots up.
> I have tried putting the command
> "/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -l
> /usr/local/pgsql/data/server.log start"
> In the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file but when the server boots up it gets
> stuck at the point "Enabling swap space   [OK]".
> Usually the Red Hat desktop would come up but it doesn't.
>
> Any ideas?

I'd be inclined to put a startup script in /etc/init.d, which accepts
start and stop arguments, and then put the appropriate links into, oh,
probably /etc/rc3.d to point to the /etc/init.d script.

/etc/rc3.d/S99postgresql would point to /etc/init.d/postgresql; as
would also /etc/rc3.d/K99postgresql.

That's how you're supposed to add services...
--
output = reverse("moc.liamg" "@" "enworbbc")
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/x.html