Re: Trying to auto start Postgres when server boots up - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jonel Rienton
Subject Re: Trying to auto start Postgres when server boots up
Date
List pgsql-general
This might be trivial, but, shouldn't you su to the user(postgres or
whatever you used) that's supposed to run the postmaster?

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Shahid Butt
Sent: Monday, February 06, 2006 9:34 AM
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: [GENERAL] Trying to auto start Postgres when server boots up

Hi,

I am using PostgreSQL 7.4.7 and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.

I want to start the Postgres Postmaster automatically when the server boots
up.
I have tried putting the command
"/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -l
/usr/local/pgsql/data/server.log start"
In the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file but when the server boots up it gets
stuck at the point "Enabling swap space   [OK]".
Usually the Red Hat desktop would come up but it doesn't.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Shahid Butt
IT Systems Developer