Re: Help me speed things up... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Doug McNaught
Subject Re: Help me speed things up...
Date
List pgsql-general
Paul Tomblin <ptomblin@xcski.com> writes:

> I'm doing some postgres stuff in perl.  I haven't done much database stuff
> in many years, and back then I was doing Oracle in C.  I'm doing a major
> query that gets a bunch of fields including a key, and then does other
> queries with that key on other tables.  Now with Oracle I would have set
> up and compiled a query for the subqueries, and then only substituted in
> the key variable and do the query, and repeat ad-nauseum.  (Forgive the
> fact that I've forgotten the terminology)  There doesn't seem to be any
> way to do that in Pg.pm, unless I'm missing something, and my subqueries
> are making the whole thing slow as molasses.  I think the query I just did
> took about 45 minutes when I did the subqueries, and about 30 seconds
> without.

It's hard to say what might be going on, but I doubt that the
query-compile overhead is hitting you that hard.  Care to post a
schema and EXPLAIN output for the queries you're doing??

-Doug (a former Monastery inmate..)
--
The rain man gave me two cures; he said jump right in,
The first was Texas medicine--the second was just railroad gin,