Re: Command Triggers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dimitri Fontaine
Subject Re: Command Triggers
Date
Re: Command Triggers  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
> We have a big user community and what _you_ want for this feature is
> only a small part of our decision on what is needed.  Robert's concern
> that this might not be useful enough for the general use-cases people
> want is a legitimate, if difficult to hear, analysis.

Agreed, his concern is legitimate.  Now, I've never been trying to
implement a generic event trigger system and I don't know what it would
take to implement such a beast.

Transaction BEGIN, COMMIT, and ROLLBACK triggers anyone?  not me :)

Exploring if my proposal would be a pain to maintain once we have a fully
generic event trigger system someday is legitimate, asking me to design
both the generic event system and the command triggers so that they fit
in is just asking for too much.

The main part of my answer, though, is that all the more complex use
cases involving command triggers that Robert is offering are in fact
possible to implement with what my patch is providing, as soon as you're
ok with understanding the content and format of the nodeToString()
output.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine