Re: Command Triggers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Command Triggers
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
> Here again, trying to generalize before we have anything useful is a
> recipe for failure. I concur that ?Process Utility Top-Level Only
> Command Triggers? is a pretty limited feature in scope, yet that's what
> I want to obtain here, and I think it's useful enough on its own.
>
> If you disagree, please propose a user level scheme where we can fit the
> work I'm doing so that I can adapt my patch and implement a part of your
> scheme in a future proof way.  I'm ready to do that even when I have no
> need for what you're talking about, if that's what it takes.

We have a big user community and what _you_ want for this feature is
only a small part of our decision on what is needed.  Robert's concern
that this might not be useful enough for the general use-cases people
want is a legitimate, if difficult to hear, analysis.

The resistance we get when removing features is sobering.  Imagine the
worst case, e.g. xml2, where we rightly implement it later, but there is
something that is better done with the old interface, and we end up
having to support both.

http://enterprisedb.com