Re: [HACKERS] RE: Unique indexes on system tables - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Subject Re: [HACKERS] RE: Unique indexes on system tables
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> On Tue, 16 Nov 1999, Hiroshi Inoue wrote:
>
> > I am only afraid of index corruption.
> > The more we have system indexes,the more index corruption would happen.
>
> Just a concerned user question: Why does index corruption seem to happen
> so often or is a genuine concern? Wouldn't the next thing be table
> corruption? Or are indices optimized for speed rather than correctness
> because they don't contain important data?

    There are more complicated concurrency issues on indices than
    for regular tables. That's where the corrupt indices but  not
    tables come from.

    For  a  user  index,  this  isn't  very  critical,  because a
    drop/create index sequence will recover to consistent data.

    For system catalog indices, this is a desaster,  because  you
    cannot  drop  and recreate indices on system tables. At least
    we need to tackle this problem by reincarnating reindexdb.

Jan