Re: [HACKERS] Scripts again - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Scripts again
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> 0     pgblah
> 3 1/2 pg_blah (Bruce, Sergio K, Dmitry S, -1/2 Thomas, myself)
> 1/2   pgadddb (Marc)
> 1 1/2 as is   (Thomas, Vince)
> 1     none    (Marc)
>
> Hmm, I guess that does it. pg_createdb and symlinks for one release with
> warnings for deprecated forms.

    Make the whole thing configurable and anyone should be happy.

        --pg_admin_script_prefix={pg_|pg|*empty*|*whatever_you_prefer*}
        --pg_admin_script_install={yes|no}

    It's not a joke. Someone might want to have his user  account
    to  have  access  to  his  production and test DB at the same
    time. So he could setup his PATH to  both  installations  bin
    directories  and  configure  the  test  DB to use a different
    default  PGPORT   and   different   script   prefixes.   Then
    pg_createdb    would    contact   another   postmaster   than
    devel_createdb would do. Well, the  installed  binaries  like
    psql would need some configurable prefix too then.

Jan