Re: [HACKERS] Re: [GENERAL] How do I activate and change the postgresuser's password? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Lamar Owen
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: [GENERAL] How do I activate and change the postgresuser's password?
Date
Re: [HACKERS] Re: [GENERAL] How do I activate and change the postgresuser's password?  (Peter Eisentraut <e99re41@DoCS.UU.SE>)
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > There is a todo item for the postgres user to have a password by default.
> > I'm not sure though how that would be done. Probably in initdb. (?)
>
> We could enabled it as part of initdb.  Prompt them for it there, and
> assign it.  Seems like there should be one on that account espeically.

Also, allow a command line option to set the password for those who need
to automate things (like us RedHat people...).  This is, I assume, for
the postgres user INSIDE the initial database structure, as opposed to
the postgres user on the OS.

Since, under the RedHat installation, the initdb likely will happen
during initial system startup, having a prompt for a password at that
point is IMHO not good.  Having a default password (in the initdb'd
pg_shadow) would be better.

If this is about the OS userame 'postgres', ignore that.  The RPM
installation already creates him, and makes it impossible to directly
log in as 'postgres' -- until root changes his password.

IMHO, of course.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio