Re: [HACKERS] Re: [GENERAL] How do I activate and change the postgresuser's password? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: [GENERAL] How do I activate and change the postgresuser's password?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, Lamar Owen wrote:

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > There is a todo item for the postgres user to have a password by default.
> > > I'm not sure though how that would be done. Probably in initdb. (?)
> >
> > We could enabled it as part of initdb.  Prompt them for it there, and
> > assign it.  Seems like there should be one on that account espeically.
>
> Also, allow a command line option to set the password for those who need
> to automate things (like us RedHat people...).  This is, I assume, for
> the postgres user INSIDE the initial database structure, as opposed to
> the postgres user on the OS.
>
> Since, under the RedHat installation, the initdb likely will happen
> during initial system startup, having a prompt for a password at that
> point is IMHO not good.  Having a default password (in the initdb'd
> pg_shadow) would be better.

Um, a default pre-packaged password would yield the whole concept next to
useless. I personally think an advice after initdb ("You really ought to
assign a password to the superuser now.") will suffice. If people don't do
what they're told, too bad. On the other hand, I'll check into that \N
default password.

This whole security concept needs overhaul anyway, but I don't see it
happening anytime soon.

    -Peter