Re: moving from MySQL to pgsql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jasen Betts
Subject Re: moving from MySQL to pgsql
Date
List pgsql-general

http://dcdbappl1.cern.ch:8080/dcdb/archive/ttraczyk/db_compare/db_compare.html#Comparison+of+Oracle%2C+MySQL+and+Postgres+DBMS

> In what way it might affect my app performance?

It's going to hurt a bit if creating processes is expensive and you
need many.

> 2) I run MySQL from a USB stick.
> There is no installation required (on WinXP.). (not tried on Ubuntu)
> Is it the same for pgsql?

It's probably possible, but usb flash gets you all the disadvantages
of SSD with no benefits (except portability), you'd probably have to
reformat the usb to NTFS - windows FAT doesn't support postgres.
And you'd also need to do a custom install.

> 3) Can I simulate MySQL's TINYINT data-type (using maybe the custom data
> type or something else)

Probably what properties of tinyint do you need?

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural