Re: Help estimating database and WAL size - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: Help estimating database and WAL size
Date
List pgsql-general
On 10/08/12 1:39 PM, Daniel Serodio (lists) wrote:
> 3) Estimate the size of the transaction log
>     ** We've got no idea how to estimate this, need advice **

postgres doesn't have a 'transaction log', it has the WAL (Write-Ahead
Logs).  These are typically 16MB each.  on databases with a really heavy
write load, I might bump the checkpoint_segments as high as 60, which
seems to result in about 120 of them being created, 2GB total.  these
files get reused, unless you are archiving them to implement a
continuous realtime backup system (which enables "PITR", Point in Time
Recovery)