moving from MySQL to pgsql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vineet Deodhar
Subject moving from MySQL to pgsql
Date
Re: moving from MySQL to pgsql  (Sim Zacks <sim@compulab.co.il>)
Re: moving from MySQL to pgsql  (Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com>)
Re: moving from MySQL to pgsql  (Ondrej Ivanič <ondrej.ivanic@gmail.com>)
Re: moving from MySQL to pgsql  (Darren Duncan <darren@darrenduncan.net>)
Re: moving from MySQL to pgsql  (Craig Ringer <ringerc@ringerc.id.au>)
Re: moving from MySQL to pgsql  ("F. BROUARD / SQLpro" <sqlpro@club-internet.fr>)
List pgsql-general
Hi !
At present, I am using MySQL as backend for my work.
Because of the licensing implications, I am considering to shift from MySQL to pgsql.
Typically, my apps are multi-user, web based or LAN based.

1) Read over the internet that ---
Postgres is not threaded, but every connection gets it's own process. The OS will distribute the processes across the processors. Basically a single connection will not be any faster with SMP, but multiple connections will be.

MySQL is multi-threaded server so it can use many processors. A separate thread is created for each connection.
source: http://dcdbappl1.cern.ch:8080/dcdb/archive/ttraczyk/db_compare/db_compare.html#Comparison+of+Oracle%2C+MySQL+and+Postgres+DBMS

In what way it might affect my app performance?

2) I run MySQL from a USB stick.
There is no installation required (on WinXP.). (not tried on Ubuntu)
Is it the same for pgsql?

3) Can I simulate MySQL's TINYINT data-type (using maybe the custom data type or something else)

Thanks,

Vineet