Re: moving from MySQL to pgsql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: moving from MySQL to pgsql
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 3:47 AM, Vineet Deodhar
<vineet.deodhar@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi !
> At present, I am using MySQL as backend for my work.
> Because of the licensing implications, I am considering to shift from MySQL
> to pgsql.
> Typically, my apps are multi-user, web based or LAN based.
>
> 1) Read over the internet that ---
> Postgres is not threaded, but every connection gets it's own process. The OS
> will distribute the processes across the processors. Basically a single
> connection will not be any faster with SMP, but multiple connections will
> be.
>
> MySQL is multi-threaded server so it can use many processors. A separate
> thread is created for each connection.
> source:

PostgreSQL is multi-threaded in that it has multiple execution
threads.  The only difference is that each thread has its own process
where in mysql every thread runs in the same process.  Each approach
has various pros and cons that ultimately don't matter most
applications.

> In what way it might affect my app performance?

Basically, it doesn't -- at least not very much.  There are many other
things that are going to make a much bigger difference.

> 2) I run MySQL from a USB stick.
> There is no installation required (on WinXP.). (not tried on Ubuntu)
> Is it the same for pgsql?

Not sure what you mean there.  Mysql has a windows installer, as does
postgres.  It's possible to bootstrap postgres without an installer if
you know what you're doing, but generally silent mode install is the
way to go.  You've omitted some very important details, like the
specific security model of the windows environments you'll install to.

> 3) Can I simulate MySQL's TINYINT data-type (using maybe the custom data
> type or something else)

You have a couple of options:
Postgresql explicitly-double-quoted "char", which is a byte.  Another
options is to use smallint + check constraints.

merlin