Re: using window functions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Kellerer
Subject Re: using window functions
Date
List pgsql-general
Daniel Manesajian, 17.03.2009 04:33:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get an advance taste of the window function feature that I
> believe is supposed to be in 8.4. I'm running 8.4devel snapshot (dated
> Jan-01 which seems kind of old) grabbed from the snapshot page on the
> postgresql website.
>
> When I try a simple query "select avg(my_int) over (order by my_int rows
> unbounded preceding) order by 1;" I get an error:
>
> ERROR:  syntax error at or near "over"
>
> Do I have to build from source to try window functions?

I'm using the build from January 1st (on Windows, provided by EnterpriseDB) and your statement gives me an error at the
keyword"unbounded". If I leave that out or add the missing range, it works.

Are you sure you are connecting to the correct installation?

Btw: I'm not sure whether your statement makes sense. As you are not using partion by or selecting other columns from
thetable, the same could be achieved without a window function. But I guess you just wanted to play around ;)

Thomas