Re: hibernate + postgresql ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Usama Dar
Subject Re: hibernate + postgresql ?
Date
List pgsql-general
i has exactly the same discussion with a bunch of java developers over the use of Hibernate with Postgres, and most of them feel that it gives them the ability to write code and not worry about which backend will be plugged in Oracle or postgres or Mysql and any other, if you are using it with something like spring you just need to change a bunch of xml files and you are good to go . i guess its the java school of thought they like to be *platform independent*

On Nov 29, 2007 8:52 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> any exprerience with Hibernate + PostgreSQL ? How does this combination
> is flexible and smart ? Is't possible to tune selected queries ?

In short, it sucks :).

Long description: Hibernate is a mature ORM for Java. It is in use with
PostgreSQL in quite a few installations and even a bunch that we are
responsible for. It does work as well as any ORM can work.

The problem is, its an ORM and ORMs are dumb in there actual ability to
work with any real relational database.

If you are not lazy you can push outside the standard hibernate methods
and produce very usable code but then you have to wonder why you have
hibernate there at all.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

              http://archives.postgresql.org/