Re: compute_query_id and pg_stat_statements - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: compute_query_id and pg_stat_statements
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 24.04.21 19:43, Tom Lane wrote:
>> That's a pretty weird API.  I think we just need people to turn it on
>> like they are doing when the configure pg_stat_statements anyway.
>> pg_stat_statements already requires configuration anyway.
>
> Agreed.  If pg_stat_statements were zero-configuration today then
> this would be an annoying new burden, but it isn't.

I think people can understand "add pg_stat_statements to
shared_preload_libraries" and "install the extension".  You have to turn
it on somehow after all.

Now there is the additional burden of turning on this weird setting that
no one understands.  That's a 50% increase in burden.

And almost no one will want to use a nondefault setting.

pg_stat_statements is pretty popular.  I think leaving in this
requirement will lead to widespread confusion and complaints.