Re: Spoofing as the postmaster - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marko Kreen
Subject Re: Spoofing as the postmaster
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 12/22/07, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > The fundamental problem is that because we don't require root, any user's
> > postmaster or pretend postmaster is as legitimate as anyone else's. SSL
> > certificates add legitimacy checks for TCP, but not for unix domain
> > sockets.
>
> Wouldn't SSL work over Unix-domain sockets as well?  The API only deals with
> file descriptors.

For Unix sockets it should be enough to just check server
process uid, no?

(FYI - Debian already puts unix socket to directory writable
only to postgres user, so they dont have the problem.  Maybe
we should encourage distros to move away from /tmp?)

--
marko