Re: Spoofing as the postmaster - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Spoofing as the postmaster
Date
Re: Spoofing as the postmaster  (Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
"Marko Kreen" <markokr@gmail.com> writes:
> (FYI - Debian already puts unix socket to directory writable
> only to postgres user, so they dont have the problem.  Maybe
> we should encourage distros to move away from /tmp?)

No, we shouldn't, and if I had any authority over them I would make
Debian stop doing that.  It amounts to a unilateral distro-specific
change in the protocol, and I think it makes things *less* secure,
because any clients who are expecting the socket to be in /tmp will be
easy pickings for a spoofer.  Debian cannot hope to prevent that
scenario, because there are non-libpq-based client implementations.