Re: Spoofing as the postmaster - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mike Rylander
Subject Re: Spoofing as the postmaster
Date
Re: Spoofing as the postmaster  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Dec 22, 2007 1:04 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > Wouldn't SSL work over Unix-domain sockets as well?  The API only deals with
> > file descriptors.
>
> Hmm ... we've always thought of SSL as being primarily comm security
> and thus useless on a Unix socket, but the mutual authentication aspect
> could come in handy as an answer for this type of threat.  Anyone want
> to try this and see if it really works or not?
>
> Does OpenSSL have a mode where it only does mutual auth and not
> encryption?  The encryption would be wasted cycles in this scenario,
> so being able to turn it off would be nice.

miker@whirly:~$ openssl ciphers -v  'NULL'
NULL-SHA                SSLv3 Kx=RSA      Au=RSA  Enc=None      Mac=SHA1
NULL-MD5                SSLv3 Kx=RSA      Au=RSA  Enc=None      Mac=MD5

I see no way to turn off the message digest, but maybe that's just an
added benefit.

--miker