Re: Are indexes blown? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Phoenix Kiula
Subject Re: Are indexes blown?
Date
Re: Are indexes blown?
Re: Are indexes blown?
List pgsql-general
On 16/02/2008, Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Feb 2008, Phoenix Kiula wrote:
>
>  > The script you suggested doesn't work:
>  >    tmp > ./trackusage.sh
>  >    -bash: ./trackusage.sh: /bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied
>

> Try changing the first line to
>
>  #!/bin/bash

Thanks Greg. Same problem with that too. I guess my tmp folder is
secured and doesn't allow for executables? I put it in another folder
and it's working.

...snip....
> Looks like the worst spot was in the middle here.  Something gobbled up
>  over 300MB of memory in 40 seconds, enough to force the OS to blow away
>  almost half its disk buffers just to keep working memory free.  Not so bad
>  that it went to swap or invoked the OOM killer but enough to push the I/O
>  block out (bo) up.  I would guess the other ugly spots were the later
>  portions where the bo spiked >100.
>
>  But without knowing more about what the processing using this memory and
>  generating the output I/O are doing it's hard to say why.  That's why I
>  suggested you watch top with the command lines turned on for a bit, to see
>  what process(es) are jumping around during the bad periods.

Happy to do that, but top keeps changing before I can copy text from
it. I think most of the connections seem to be "httpd" which is Apache
2.2.6. I checked the netstat commands and the server is not under DDOS
or anything.

My hosting provider tells me that the Postgresql server is taking up a
lot of memory but I've been running the same db with the same config
for over 2 years. Yes we have been growing but what happened in the
last 3 days to warrant a sudden spike in memory consumption??!!

Anyway, I want to go back to them with some hard data that postgresql
is NOT the one that is causing my server to load. The indexes are all
in place (and I've REINDEXed my big tables anyway) so the performance
of pg itself is not an issue.

I just don't know where to get this hard data. The top output shows
httpd on top, and sometimes postmaster, but I don't know how to
repeatedly capture it. Any suggestions?