Re: Are indexes blown? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Are indexes blown?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 12:38:04PM +0800, Phoenix Kiula wrote:

> My hosting provider tells me that the Postgresql server is taking up a
> lot of memory but I've been running the same db with the same config
> for over 2 years. Yes we have been growing but what happened in the
> last 3 days to warrant a sudden spike in memory consumption??!!

Maybe your database has just grown big enough that it no longer all fits in
memory, and your disk hardware is flakey?  Or maybe the disk is flakey?  Or
maybe the data itself is now different enough that the planner is changing
what it's doing?  There are lots of explanations.

But I have to agree with someone upthread: you have to stop the crashes and
clean the system up before you try to debug this stuff.  Your problem is
likely there.