Re: Best way to use indexes for partial match at - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrus
Subject Re: Best way to use indexes for partial match at
Date
List pgsql-general
> (Hint: all the other ones use dictionary
> sorting rules, which have at least a discrimination against spaces.)

Tom,

thank you. I ran the following code in 8.1

show lc_collate; -- returns "Estonian_Estonia.1257"
create temp table foo ( bar char(10) ) on commit drop ;
insert into foo values ('A');
insert into foo values ('A  C'); -- two spaces
insert into foo values ('A B'); -- single space
insert into foo values ('A C'); -- single space
select * from foo order by bar;

and got

"A  C      "
"A B       "
"A C       "

I don't see any space discrimination on sorting here.
I sorted the same data in Microsoft Word and got the same result.

Andrus.