Re: Performance of autovacuum and full vacuum of database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Performance of autovacuum and full vacuum of database
Date
List pgsql-general
"Carlos Oliva" <carlos@pbsinet.com> writes:
> Would rebooting the server interfere with the work of pg_autovacuum?  I
> imagine that pg_autovacuum would loose the information that it gathered
> prior to the reboot.

The only long-term state used by autovacuum is the contents of the
statistics views, which will be saved across reboot if you have the
relevant postgresql.conf parameter set properly.  (As of 8.1 it is set
to save by default, but prior releases had the opposite default :-()

At least this is true for the 8.1 integrated autovacuum, I'm less
certain about the contrib version in prior releases...

            regards, tom lane