Re: Arduino SQL Connector - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: Arduino SQL Connector
Date
List pgsql-general
On 18 Duben 2014, 17:01, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 04/18/2014 07:53 AM, Jan Wieck wrote:
>> On 04/18/14 10:31, Steve Spence wrote:
>>> Not a thing in that document about the Arduino. Just how to install
>>> Postgres on a Raspberry Pi. My Postgres is on a hosted server at a ISP.
>>
>> You intend to have thousands of Arduino devices, incapable of doing any
>> sort of encryption or other means of secure IP connections, directly
>> connect to a database, that is hosted on a publicly accessible VPS?
>>
>> Maybe it is just me, but to me that design has DISASTER written in bold,
>> red, 120pt font all over it.
>
> Jan,
>
> It is already established you do not like any part of this idea. Beating
> the dead horse really does not accomplish anything.

I don't think pointing out weaknesses of a proposed solution is equal to
beating a dead horse.

I see two potential issues here - security and excessive number of
connections. Security, because while you can reasonably authenticate the
client (e.g. using MD5 authentication), there's no way of encrypting the
traffic. But if the data is not sensitive, this might be sufficient.

Excessive number of connections, because if you keep one connection from
each arduino device, and you have 1000s of devices ... you get the idea.
But this might be resolved using pgbouncer + transaction pooling or so.

regards
Tomas