Re: Arduino SQL Connector - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Atkins
Subject Re: Arduino SQL Connector
Date
Re: Arduino SQL Connector  (Edson Richter <edsonrichter@hotmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Apr 18, 2014, at 9:11 AM, Edson Richter <edsonrichter@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Em 17/04/2014 09:00, Steve Spence escreveu:
>> I'm using a MySQL library on my arduino that allows me to directly
>> connect to a MySQL database and perform SQL queries on the Arduino.
>>
>> I need something similar for Postgres. Anyone have the knowledge and
>> interest to work with me?
>>
>> Here is a sample of what I'm doing currently, and the results:
>>
>> http://arduinotronics.blogspot.com/2014/04/arduino-based-sql-queries.html
>>
>> http://green-trust.org/lmanco/find.php
>>

>> Steve Spence, KK4HFJ
>> Director, Green Trust
>> http://www.green-trust.org
>> Http://arduinotronics.blogspot.com
>>

> Is Arduino capable of running Java apps?

It's a microcontroller, with significantly less functionality than
my wristwatch. The big configurations have something like 8k
of RAM and a few hundred k or flash. The regular ones have
a couple of k of RAM and a few tens of k of flash.

There's no OS, just a single running application.

I'm pretty sure it'd be possible to implement a cut down version
of the PG protocol for it (though for the use case the original
poster mentioned it's a terribly idea, for system security reasons
as much as anything else). It'd be an interesting Saturday
afternoon project, at least.

But running virtual machines on it, or doing naive ports of
a full featured API isn't going to work - there's just not
enough space on the chip, for either code or storage.

Cheers,
  Steve