Re: Arduino SQL Connector - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Arduino SQL Connector
Date
List pgsql-general
On 04/18/2014 09:39 AM, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> On 18 Duben 2014, 17:01, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>>>
>>> You intend to have thousands of Arduino devices, incapable of doing any
>>> sort of encryption or other means of secure IP connections, directly
>>> connect to a database, that is hosted on a publicly accessible VPS?
>>>
>>> Maybe it is just me, but to me that design has DISASTER written in bold,
>>> red, 120pt font all over it.
>>
>> Jan,
>>
>> It is already established you do not like any part of this idea. Beating
>> the dead horse really does not accomplish anything.
>
> I don't think pointing out weaknesses of a proposed solution is equal to
> beating a dead horse.

Well the point is that the OP is already doing this with MySQL as the
backend. He just wants to move to Postgres if possible.

> I see two potential issues here - security and excessive number of
> connections. Security, because while you can reasonably authenticate the
> client (e.g. using MD5 authentication), there's no way of encrypting the
> traffic. But if the data is not sensitive, this might be sufficient.
>
> Excessive number of connections, because if you keep one connection from
> each arduino device, and you have 1000s of devices ... you get the idea.
> But this might be resolved using pgbouncer + transaction pooling or so.

Valid concerns whether MySQL or Postgres or some other data store is
used. Though as of now, from what I gather there are only 2 Arduinos
being polled:

http://arduinotronics.blogspot.com/2014/04/arduino-based-sql-queries.html

--
Adrian Klaver