Re: READ ONLY & I/O ERROR - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: READ ONLY & I/O ERROR
Date
List pgsql-general
(please use text only email to the list)

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 7:51 AM, Sam Jas <samjas33@yahoo.com> wrote:

> We are getting the below errors after 20 or 25 days of database creation.
>
> ERROR: could not open relation 1919829/1152694/1921473: Read-only file system
> ERROR: could not read block 312320 of relation 1964206/1152694/1981329: Input/output error

PostgreSQL cannot make a file system read only.  The OS does that.

What do your system logs in /var/log have to say when this happens?
There's got to be more context in there than we're getting evidence of
here on the list.

> If we create a new database the problem is repeated after 20 or 25 days. Until then we don't have any issues with the
newdatabase.

My guess is that it's not a fixed number, just what you've seen so
far, could happen in a day or a month or a year.

> The size of database is very huge. We are loading millions of records every day and also fetching from the database
isalso high. Even the disks are not full. We are not dropping the old database.

> What is the reason for this issue?

Looks like bad hardware to me.

> How can we ensure that it is not a database issue?

It can't be a database number, as the database isn't capable of
actually locking a file system.  It can trigger an OS bug maybe that
causes this problem, but given that no one else is having this issue
with Centos 5.3, I'm gonna bet on bad hardware.

> We are using
> GridSQL: 1.1.0.9
> PostgreSQL 8.3
> Architecture Details:
> CentOS 5.3 64 bit Areca high point rocket raid 3520 8 port
> 32 GB RAM

I will repeat, Areca does NOT MAKE the high point rocket raid.  I will
also add that a Rocket Raid is not, IMHO, suitable for a production
environment.  If it's an actual Areca, then the model will be
something like 11xx, 12xx, or 16xx numbers, not 3520.