Re: select count() out of memory - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: select count() out of memory
Date
Re: select count() out of memory  (tfinneid@student.matnat.uio.no)
List pgsql-general
On 10/25/07, tfinneid@student.matnat.uio.no
<tfinneid@student.matnat.uio.no> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am volume testing a db model that consists of a paritioned tables. The
> db has been running for a week and a half now and has built up to contain
> approx 55000 partition tables of 18000 rows each. The root table therefore
> contains about 1 billion rows. When I try to do a "select count(*)" of the
> root table, it does some work for a while, perhaps 5-10 minutes and the
> aborts with
>
>     ERROR:  out of memory
>     DETAIL:  Failed on request of size 130.

So, out of curiosity, I asked my Oracle DBA friend if she'd ever heard
of anyone having 60,000 or so partitions in a table, and she looked at
me like I had a third eye in my forehead and said in her sweet voice
"Well, that would certainly be an edge case".  She sounded like she
was worried about me.