Re: select count() out of memory - Mailing list pgsql-general

From tfinneid@student.matnat.uio.no
Subject Re: select count() out of memory
Date
List pgsql-general
> So, out of curiosity, I asked my Oracle DBA friend if she'd ever heard
> of anyone having 60,000 or so partitions in a table, and she looked at
> me like I had a third eye in my forehead and said in her sweet voice
> "Well, that would certainly be an edge case".  She sounded like she
> was worried about me.

That means I am exploring new territory, which is good. Of course, there
is a possibility the design could be done in a different way so as not to
need that many partitions. But I asked on this list a some of months ago
about tips on how to design this data model and what I came up with was
what I have today.

The problem is the work is proprietary and confidential, so its difficult
for me to explain in detail what I want to do. But you could look at my
want to solve.

regards

thomas