Re: select count() out of memory - Mailing list pgsql-general

From tfinneid@student.matnat.uio.no
Subject Re: select count() out of memory
Date
List pgsql-general
> tfinneid@student.matnat.uio.no wrote:
> It will work on a million partitions and more, provided you do
> operations on single partitions.

Thats good enough for me, thats exactly what I want. I just used the
select count() on the root to get a feeling of how many rows it was in
total. An then I thought that the error message was just a configuration
issue. But since doing operations like that on the the root table of this
magnitude is not a good idea, I won't.

> What you want to do is not possible, period.  Maybe when we redesign
> partitioning, but that's far into the future.  Kindly do not waste our
> time (nor yours).

Thank you for that prompt reply.

In all fairness, thats why I asked the question here, to find out the
facts, not to be abused for being ignorant about pg.

thomas