Re: ERROR: Could not access status of transaction #### - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: ERROR: Could not access status of transaction ####
Date
List pgsql-general
On 10/19/07, Ralph Smith <smithrn@u.washington.edu> wrote:
> I'm using 7.4 in preparation for an overdue upgrade.
>
> Yesterday I posted 2 questions that were ignored, so I'll try a third now.
>
> When doing a query I  get same error as below, which are the results of
> vacuumdb.
>
> vacuumdb: vacuuming of database "airburst" failed: ERROR:  could not access
> status of transaction 7564911
> DETAIL:  could not open file
> "/var/lib/postgresql/7.4/main/pg_clog/0007": No such file
> or directory
>
> I'm only querying from 1 table.
> I could really use some help.
>
> ----
>
> Regarding yesterday's Qs, how  best to un-import from pg_dumpall's results?
> I'd dump-all'd into a text file and imported it via a psql -f filename.
> It had encoding errors AND did NOT make the database I needed.  Everything
> went into db postgres.

yeah, you should be able to just drop and recreate postgres.  As the
postgres superuser, something like:

dropdb postgres
createdb -T template1 postgres
OR if it fails not finding the postgres db, then
psql template1 -U postgres
create database postgres with template template1

As for the encoding, make a new db with the same encoding as your last
db, and try again.  If that doesn't work, look up iconv in the
archives / google.  Lets you convert from encoding to another.

The vacuumdb error is much more worrisome and makes me wonder about
your hardware / OS reliability / possible driver error.