Re: BUG #15243: make check shows errors, i.e. fails to find initdband others - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Mario Emmenlauer
Subject Re: BUG #15243: make check shows errors, i.e. fails to find initdband others
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Dear Tom,

I hope the reply-by-mail works (this is my first pgsql report :-) )

On 15.06.2018 23:20, Tom Lane wrote:
> =?utf-8?q?PG_Bug_reporting_form?= <noreply@postgresql.org> writes:
>> I tried my first build of PostgreSQL 10.4 on Ubuntu Linux 16.04 today. The
>> build worked out of the box. However `make check` fails. I am under the
>> impression that it tries a "strange" path to search for build-time binaries.
>> But I'm not experienced enough to figure out why.
>
> It's hard for someone else to be sure either.  What "make check" is
> supposed to do is create a temporary installation under
> ...sourcedir.../tmp_install/, so this:
>
>> PATH="/tmp/Debug/Shared/postgresql-10.4/tmp_install/thirdparty/Debug/Shared/bin:$PATH"
>
> looks correct if your PG source is in /tmp/Debug/Shared/postgresql-10.4/
> and the configured real installation path is /thirdparty/Debug/Shared/.
> You confirmed the latter but not the former.

Yes, its exactly like you say: PG sources are in
/tmp/Debug/Shared/postgresql-10.4/ and the configured real installation
path is /thirdparty/Debug/Shared/.

>> In /tmp/Debug/Shared/postgresql-10.4/src/test/regress/log/initdb.log there
>> is just a short message saying that initdb was not found.
>
> This suggests that the temp installation failed to be made, but you did
> not show us the part of the make log where that should've happened;
> it'd be before this extract, of course.

I have tried the build again and this time I used the directories
/data/Debug/Shared/postgresql-10.4 for the build and /data/Debug/Shared
for the installation. /data/ is a symlink to /data1/ on my machine, in
case that makes a difference. The build works fine so I only attach the
log from 'make -j1 check'.

> Also, were you trying a VPATH build, or just build-in-source-tree?
> That affects where this stuff would end up.

I tried the build-in-source-tree so far. Should I try a VPATH build?

All the best and thanks a lot,

    Mario Emmenlauer

--
BioDataAnalysis GmbH, Mario Emmenlauer      Tel. Buero: +49-89-74677203
Balanstr. 43                   mailto: memmenlauer * biodataanalysis.de

Attachment